History and Traditions
Of the 15th Medical Battalion
The 15th Medical Battalion, as it is known today, was organized. at Fort
Bliss, Texas, on 1 June 1926, as part of the 1st Cavalry Division, in
accordance with General Orders Number 5, War Department, 23 March 1925. It
was designated as the 1st Medical Squadron. The distinctive insignia, coat
of arms and motto "Standing By", were adopted in July 1929.
One of its first missions other than non, training an. maneuvers was during
the Escobar Revolution in Mexico during October, 1929. The 1st Medical Squadron
supported troops of the 1st Cavalry Division that were stationed along the
Mexican border as far west as Arizona.
During the year 1933, many members of the medical squadron were on duty with
the Civilian Conservation Corps, performing physical examinations and furnishing
medical aid and ambulance service to the various camps.
During the intervening years until the beginning of World War II, the 1st
Medical Squadron participated in all 1st Cavalry Division maneuvers. The
training was of the specialized type found in mounted medical units involving
not only its basic knowledge required of the combat medical soldier, but also
the duties and skills of the expert horseman and cavalrymen. This training
enhanced, augmented and made practical the learning acquired through reading,
study, troop training, and troop schools by disclosing deficiencies,
limitations, and values of men and equipment.
With the advent of Wools War II, the unit was assigned the additional
duty of training newly organized hospital units, many of which subsequently
served overseas in combat. In the latter part of 1942, the Cavalry Division
gave up its horses and began training as an infantry type division. This
reorganization also effected changes in the medical squadron with an ensuing
period of intensive unit training for future infantry combat operations. On
26 June 1943, the unit left the continental United States from San
Francisco, California, for an overseas tour destined to include at least two
wars, five years of occupation duty in Japan and ten years foreign service.
On 11 July 1943, the unit landed at Camp Strathpine, Australia, and spent
the remainder of the year undergoing intensive combat training including
The 1st Medical Squadron moved right along with the 1zt Cavalry Division
on its campaigns through the southwest Pacific to Japan. The names of New
Guinea, Los Negras, Bismarck Archipelago, Luzon, Leyte, and Antipoli as well
the path of war and sacrifice taken by the division and medical squadron and
are indelibly written in the history of this medical unit.
The following Campaign Streamers and Decorations were awarded During
World War II,
New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago (with arrowhead)
Leyte (with arrowhead) and Luzon
Streamer, Meritorious Unit Commendation, embroidered KOREA, 1st Ambulance
Streamer, Meritorious Unit Commendation, embroidered KOREA, 1st Clearing
In November 1951, the Battalion, together with the division, returned to
Japan for the defense of the strategically located northern island of
In the fall of 1957, the division was reassigned to Korea replacing the
24th Infantry Division on the DMZ. The Battalion, with the vital mission of
maintaining the general health and welfare of the members of the 1st Cavalry
Division, stands among the best of many battle-scarred and time-honored
units of the US Army Medical Service.
The 15th Medical Battalion underwent reorganization on 1 September 1963,
as directed by General Orders Number 323, Headquarter US Army Pacific, eat.
12 August 1963. The change resulted in the activation of Company D, and
redisignation of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, to Headquarters
and Company A.
The current mission of the battalion is to provide division unit level
medical support to the 1st Cavalry Division, elements of the 7th Infantry
Division, and I Corps units in garrison. The garrison mission includes the
operation of a 42 bed dispensary, which further enhances the training of the
assigned personnel, insuring operational efficient, for the performance of
our primary mission is made aware of these. hazards through proper training,
and are often given the opportunity to display the high degree of physical
fitness they maintain. On December 1964 the troopers of the 15th Medical
Battalion donned full field equipment, to include weapons and protective
mask, marched 6 miles cross country, encounters the aggressor force in small
arms harassment, waded through a cloud of CS gas and continued toward their
destination, arriving in 1 hour and 45 minutes after departure. Our Motto,
"Always With You".
In September 1965, the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), supported by the
15th Medical Battalion (Airmobile), arrived at the Central Highlands bases
of Qui Nhon and An Khe lying southeast of Pleiku. In October the North
Vietnamese Army began a major operation in the Central Highlands, opening
its campaign with an attack on the Plei Me Special Forces camp 25 miles
southwest of Pleiku. The 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), was
moved into the area, south and west of Pleiku to block any further enemy
advance and to stand in readiness as a reaction force. On 27 October, the
1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) was directed to seek out and destroy the
enemy force in western Pleiku province. Thus began the month-long campaign
known as the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley. The great effectiveness of the
airmobile division was demonstrated in its first combat trial.
The IA Drang campaign also proved the worth of the airmobile medical support
battalion. An innovation, the airmobile medical battalion differed
structurally in several ways from the conventional medical battalion. The
most important difference was that it included an air ambulance platoon of
12 helicopters and an aircraft maintenance section.
Doctrinally, the division of responsibility between air ambulances organic
to a division and Army-level, or Medevac helicopters, was clear cut.
Divisional air ambulances evacuated patients in the division's area of
operations from the site of wounding to one of the division's four clearing
stations. Dust-off helicopters evacuated patients from the divisional
clearing station to an Army hospital. In practice, the line of demarcation
was often blurred. During lulls in combat, divisional aircraft flew patients
from the clearing station to a hospital, while during peak periods of
combat, Army-level helicopters supplemented divisional aircraft and
evacuated casualties from the frontline to the divisional clearing station.
Occasionally, assault helicopters were used when the medical air evacuation
platoon was overtaxed, but Medevac aircraft were preferred because the
medical aidman aboard could give emergency treatment and because the patient
could be regulated to the hospital best suited to his needs.
In contrast to the usual practice in Vietnam of evacuating a casualty
directly from the site of wounding to a, hospital by air ambulance, 95
percent of the casualties in the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) were first
evacuated to one of the division's clearing stations, because of the size of
the division's area of operations. The remaining 5 percent, severely wounded
or critically ill patients who could not have survived a stop en route, were
evacuated directly to the 45th Surgical Hospital in Tay Ninh or the 2d
Surgical Hospital in Lai Khe.
Since there was no difference in flying time from the combat area to the
helipad of the clearing station of the 15th Medical Battalion (Airmobile)
and that of the 45th Surgical Hospital at Tay Ninh, patients were evacuated
to the clearing station. The two units complemented each other. Personnel at
the clearing station became adept in the triage of combat casualties and in
the techniques- such as administering blood and reducing shock- of
stabilizing a seriously wounded patient. Surgeons at the 45th Surgical
Hospital, in turn, were, freed to devote their full effort to resuscitative
surgery without fear that the condition of patients awaiting surgery would
deteriorate. The clearing station handled a surprisingly large number of
casualties in a short period of time. It also weeded out the slightly
wounded and the "sick, lame, and lazy" who would have become the
responsibility of the 45th Surgical Hospital had they been evacuated there
The 15th Medical Battalion’s participation in Vietnam ended on 29 April
1971, when it, along with the Division Support Command, departed Vietnam for
Fort Hood, Texas. For its participation in Vietnam, the battalion would earn
thirteen campaign streamers, a Presidential Unit Citation, two Valorous Unit
Commendations, and three Meritorious Unit Commendations.
Distinctive Unit Insignia
Symbolism - The colors of the shield, white and maroon, are the Army
Medical Department colors. The bluebonnet, the Texas State flower, indicates
the unit was organized in Texas.
Background - The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for
the 1st Medical Squadron on 11 July 1928. It was redesignated for the 15th
Medical Battalion on 29 December 1950. It was redesignated for the 15th
Support Battalion with the description and symbolism revised on 22 April